Search This Blog

Friday, September 27, 2019

Rally Round The Flag, Boys! (1958)

A public relations man (Paul Newman) is married to a woman (Joanne Woodward) who devotes herself to community service which leaves very little time for romance. When the U.S. Army decides to build a top secret installation in their communityshe forms a committee to protest. Which leaves the husband at the mercy of the Army (who makes him a liaison between the town and the Army) and the town's predatory femme fatale (Joan Collins). Based on the best selling novel by Max Shulman and directed by Leo McCarey (THE AWFUL TRUTH). This big screen sitcom gets a lot of negativity but I found it modestly enjoyable. Newman and Woodward are overqualified for fluff like this but I suppose it was a change of pace for them after the heavy dramas (like CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF and THREE FACES OF EVE) that they were usually cast in. The humor is is overplayed and clearly Newman and Woodward aren't farceurs though even a Cary Grant and Irene Dunne would be hard put to squeeze much laughs from the material. But it does give Joan Collins a chance to show her comic chops and she manages to milk some laughs. With Jack CarsonGale GordonDwayne HickmanMurvyn Vye and Tuesday Weldwho manages to steal what few scenes she has.     

3 comments:

  1. De Witt, you are too kind to this film. Paul Newman was a good actor and a great star, but he was about as funny as Robert Ryan with a tooth-ache. Woodward wasn't much better. I'd comment more on your great reviews, but I assume you don't really want them. And there's nothing wrong with that. in any case, keep up the great Work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're wrong, rc. Comments are VERY much welcome and encouraged! I appreciate whatever feedback (even if negative). My opinion of Rally is in the minority, I know. But then again I absolutely loathe some of the McCarey films that others adore like Going My Way and Make Way For Tomorrow! Hope you're doing well.

      Delete
  2. Hello De Witt. Nice to know you're open to comments. I'm dong great. I'll try not to be negative, but you know how it is. If you agree with something, there's not much to say except "I agree" or "Great Job".

    ReplyDelete