Search This Blog

Sunday, April 12, 2020

When Ladies Meet (1933)

A writer (Myrna Loy) is having an affair with her married publisher (Frank Morgan). The young man (Robert Montgomery) who loves her arranges for her to meet the publisher's wife (Ann Harding) without either woman knowing who the other is. Based on the play by Rachel Crothers and directed by Harry Beaumont. I've been a fan of the 1941 remake for many years but this first version has eluded me until now. They're strikingly similar in execution, even the sets look the same! The ending to the 1933 version seems less ambiguous than the 1941 remake and being a pre-code film, there's a greater amount of sexual suggestion. Then there are the performances, all good with Myrna Loy giving out a bit more vulnerability than Joan Crawford did in the remake. If I say I slightly prefer the 1941 version, that's most likely because it's the version I saw first and I'm used to it but this one is a winner too. With Alice Brady, Martin Burton, Sterling Hollway and Luis Alberni.

No comments:

Post a Comment