Search This Blog

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Shivers (aka They Came From Within) (1975)

A modern high rise complex situated on an island near Montreal becomes infested with parasites that enter humans through their orifices and turns them into insatiable sex maniacs. Directed by David Cronenberg (his first feature film), this horror film was shot in fifteen days and it feels like it! It's not frightening at all and most of its shocks come from its gross out effects. I'm not sure how much humor is intentional and how much is unintentional but I found myself chuckling at it frequently. I've seen student films that look more professional and the amateurish acting with one exception is godawful.  The one exception is Barbara Steele (BLACK SUNDAY) in a very small role. And I've never seen a film with such unattractive (male) actors. There's not a good looking actor in the entire film. Which isn't to say I wasn't entertained by it, I was. It's a silly movie and the mind boggling bad acting, imbecilic writing and overall senseless plotting soon turns into one of those bad movies that are grandly entertaining. Still, you'd never guess from this project that Cronenberg would eventually emerge as a major talent. There are a lot of other actors in the movie besides Barbara Steele but I won't embarrass them by naming them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment