Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Afterglow (1997)

Two couples find their lives entangled with each other: an older couple, a handyman (Nick Nolte) and his ex-actress wife (Julie Christie in an Oscar nominated performance) and a younger couple, a rising executive (Jonny Lee Miller) and wife (Lara Flynn Boyle). Produced by Robert Altman and directed by Alan Rudolph (CHOOSE ME). I tend to like Rudolph's films but found this one pretentious and ultimately worthless except for one aspect of it. And that exception is Julie Christie, who gives a sensational performance. But it's not only her performance, it's that her character is the only really interesting character in the movie, the only one I could connect with. I certainly had little interest in Nolte's philandering oaf, Miller's constipated junior executive or Boyle's annoying twit. I understand it's a "comedy" drama but the comedy part is dead on arrival. Also, I hated the soft focus cinematography of Toyomichi Kurita which looks like it was shot through a nylon stocking. If you're performance oriented as I am, seek it out for Julie Christie. If you're not, you can safely avoid it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment