Search This Blog

Monday, March 1, 2021

South Pacific (2005)

Set on a South Pacific island during WWII, a nurse (Reba McEntire) out of Arkansas for the first time is infatuated with a sophisticated Frenchman (Brian Stokes Mitchell) who has a plantation on the island. Based on the hit 1949 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical (based on TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC by James A. Michener) and directed by Walter Bobbie. This is a concert version of the musical performed live at Carnegie Hall. The musical's attitudes toward race and women seem rather quaint by modern sensibilities. But it's still a first rate musical though I have personal preference for OKLAHOMA! and THE KING AND I when it comes to Rodger and Hammerstein's musical output. The songs are sensational and in musicals, that's enough. I can't rave enough about McEntire as Nellie Forbush, she was born to play the role (how I wish I could have seen her ANNIE GET YOUR GUN on Broadway) and better than Mitzi Gaynor in the 1958 film and Glenn Close in the 2001 TV version. Brian Stokes Mitchell is in great voice and Alec Baldwin as Luther Billis brings just the right amount of impudent charm to the part. With Jason Danieley, John Schuck and Lillias White.

1 comment:

  1. Some musicals are much better on the stage. Maybe south pacific is in that category. While I like song of the songs, the book is so dull, I could barely get through the 1950's version and couldn't get through this one. Too bad, I couldn't go back in time and force R&H to cast Doris Day.

    ReplyDelete