Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 16, 2021

The Long Night (1947)

After killing a dog trainer (Vincent Price), a working class man (Henry Fonda) sits barricaded in his room reflecting on the the events which lead up to the murder while the police attempt to force him out of the room. A remake of Marcel Carne's LE JOUR SE LEVE (1939) and directed by Anatole Litvak (THE SNAKE PIT). While I have nothing against remakes on principle, what this movie does to Carne's masterpiece is simply pitiful. The miscasting of Henry Fonda as the doomed factory worker compromised the film from the beginning but still, it doesn't prepare us for the ghastly mawkish "happy" Hollywood ending that has been tacked on to what originally was a bleak slice of cinematic poetry. The film lacks the atmosphere of fatalism that permeated the French classic. The rest of the major players: Barbara Bel Geddes (in her film debut), the undervalued Ann Dvorak and Vincent Price do their best but they can't surmount the film's inadequacies. Dimitri Tiomkin's insistent score doesn't do the film any favors. With Charles McGraw, Moroni Olsen and Elisha Cook Jr. 

2 comments:

  1. great review. I applaud Fonda's desire to do more serious roles, but like "The Power and the Glory" he simply lacks the acting chops for the role. Within a narrow range Fonda was good, and I enjoy his performances in several movies, but outside of that range he was frankly a bore. Other than his ability to play a villain or a stiff formal character, I much prefer his friend Jimmy Stewart. When I first read your criticism of Fonda, years ago, I was skeptical, but to honest, the more I see Fonda the less I like him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's my least favorite actor but when he's good, I'll give him the credit he deserves. I like him in The Lady Eve, Once Upon A Time In The West, The Wrong Man but not much else.

      Delete