Search This Blog

Friday, November 4, 2022

Frankenstein (1931)

An obsessed scientist (Colin Clive) is convinced he can create new life by assembling the body parts of corpses. But his assistant (Dwight Frye) steals an "abnormal" criminal brain and the result is a living monster (Boris Karloff). Based on the novel by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley (the screen credits read based on the novel by Mrs. Percy Shelley) and directed by James Whale (SHOW BOAT). I know the film is considered a classic of the horror genre but honestly, of all the Universal monster franchises, the Frankenstein movies have never appealed to me much though I'm quite fond of BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN and ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN but they are the exceptions. I don't dislike them but I find very little sense of true horror or atmosphere and worst of all, they tend to be dull. Whale's pre-code FRANKENSTEIN has some good moments (the Monster playing with the little girl before he murders her) but overall it's a bit monotonous and creaky, something I don't find with the Mummy, Dracula or even the Wolf Man franchises. I realize I'm in the minority but there you go. Jack Pierce is responsible for Karloff's justifiably iconic make up. With Mae Clarke, John Boles, Frederick Kerr and Marilyn Harris. 

No comments:

Post a Comment