Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 19, 2023

La Strada (1954)

A simple minded young woman (Giulietta Masina) is "bought" from her mother (Anna Primula) by a brutish strongman (Anthony Quinn) who takes her on the road as his assistant. Directed by Federico Fellini, I've never been able to embrace this much beloved and acclaimed Oscar winning classic. I'm not an admirer of Masina's waif Gelsomina, she looks like Harpo Marx channeling Charlie Chaplin. She's also a born victim that we're supposed to empathize with but characters who don't do anything to take control of their life don't appeal to me. But regarding her performance, I'm in the minority. Others seem to adore it while I much prefer her performance in NIGHTS OF CABIRIA where she doesn't overdo the gamin bit. American actors Anthony Quinn and Richard Basehart (as a clown) are dubbed into Italian although they are clearly speaking their lines in English. It's disconcerting not hearing their real voices although the dubbing is typical of Italian film making at the time, even the Italian actors were usually dubbed. The score by Nino Rota is lovely. I can see what others admire in the film but it just doesn't work for me. With Aldo Silvani and Marcella Rovere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment