Search This Blog

Friday, February 22, 2013

Royal Wedding (1951)

A brother (Fred Astaire) and sister (Jane Powell) act take their hit Broadway show to London during the preparations of the royal wedding of Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh. While both are career driven with little interest in a committed relationship, she finds herself falling in love with a handsome English Lord (Peter Lawford) and he finds himself attracted to a dancer (Sarah Churchill, Winston's daughter) in the show. The lightweight storyline is practically irrelevant here because most of the musical numbers are wonderful. It contains two of Astaire's most justifiably famous dances: the dance with a hat rack (Sunday Jumps) and the dance on the ceiling (You're All The World To Me). Plus there's the vigorous vaudeville number with Powell, How Could You Believe Me When I Said I Loved You When You Know I've Been A Liar All My Life in which Powell shows that she doesn't always have to trill when she sings and the exotic percussive I Left My Hat In Haiti also with Powell. Directed by Stanley Donen. With Keenan Wynn and Albert Sharpe (DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE).

No comments:

Post a Comment