Search This Blog

Saturday, December 28, 2019

Joker (2019)

Set in 1981an aspiring stand up comic (Joaquin Phoenix) working as a clown descends into madness and murder as society crumbles around him. Based on the DC comics character of The Joker introduced in the Batman comic books and directed by Todd Phillips (THE HANGOVER). This is easily the most depressing and misanthropic film I have ever seen! Don't get me wrongit's superbly made with a sensational performance by Phoenix in the title role but damn is it dark! This isn't your usual DC/Marvel fodder. There's mental illnesschild abusematricide and social anarchy and Phillips keeps rubbing our faces in it. If this isn't a true horror filmI don't know what is. The film has infuriated some critics who called it socially irresponsible. I wouldn't go that far but there's an irritating sense of pompous self importance that leaves an unpleasant aftertaste. The screenplay lacks originality but its execution is almost good enough to forgive it that (I said almost good enough). I'm honestly taken aback that the film is a huge hit because of its nihilistic attitudes. But there's no denying this is strong stuff. I guess I'm ambivalent about it. I'm impressed with its raw power but I still want to take a shower to wash it off me. But I'll still take it over any Marvel/DC superhero movie. There's an excellent score by Hildur Guonnadotir. The cast also includes Robert De NiroFrances ConroyBrett Cullen and Zazie Beetz.

1 comment:

  1. Great review. You've convinced me to see it. I'm not into dark, depressing movies, but this seems to have enough powerful narrative energy to make it worth while.

    ReplyDelete