Search This Blog

Saturday, December 10, 2022

Nope (2022)

Following their father's (Keith David) sudden death, a Hollywood horse wrangler (Daniel Kaluuya) and his sister (Keke Palmer) begin observing unexplained phenomena on their vast Southern California ranch. Their attempts to corral the phenomena takes them down an obsessive rabbit hole. Written and directed by Jordan Peele in his third feature film. Despite some script problems, this makes it three for three for the Oscar winning Peele. It's the most visually ambitious of Peele's films so far and the influence of Spielberg's CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND is obvious. I've read several critical interpretations of the film themes and I'm not so sure I buy any of them. Granted, Peele has more on his mind than mere sci-fi spectacle but anything more concrete is evasive. There's talk of a sequel but as much I liked NOPE (and I liked it a lot), I hope they leave it alone. Michael Abels' score contributes much to the film's intensity. With Steven Yeun, Michael Wincott, Brandon Perea and Donna Mills.

No comments:

Post a Comment