Search This Blog

Sunday, May 8, 2016

The Invitation (2016)

A small group of friends who haven't seen each other in two years gather together for a dinner party at a house in the Hollywood Hills. They haven't seen each other since a tragic event occurred two years earlier. But it slowly becomes clear that something just isn't right but what transpires is horrific! Directed by Karyn Kusama (GIRLFIGHT), this is the kind of film that starts off intensely and doesn't let up. You just know something terrible is going to happen and Kusama moves the film at a methodical pace as the tension builds and builds until you just about can't take anymore. I was squirming and shifting in my seat as my belly did flip flops that I thought about bolting. But I'm glad I stayed. This is a low budget independent movie with no stars, Tammy Blanchard and John Carroll Lynch are probably the most familiar faces in the cast. Do I recommend it? It's not a film for everyone, for some people squirming in their seats while their belly does flip flops is not their idea of a good time. But if you like an intelligent gripping thriller (some might even call it a horror movie), this is for you. Also in the cast: Logan Marshall Green, Emayatzy Corinealdi, Michael Huisman, Karl Yune, Mike Doyle, Jordi Vilasuso, Jay Larson, Marieh Delfino, Michelle Krusiec and Lindsay Burdge.

No comments:

Post a Comment