Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Paradis Perdu (aka Paradise Lost) (1940)

Set in Paris, a struggling artist (Fernand Gravey) falls in love with a model (Micheline Presle). But as WWI looms, their happiness will soon be cut short. Directed by Abel Gance (NAPOLEON), this epic movie romance covers some 25 years with Presle playing both the mother and daughter. Gance's film of parental self sacrifice is sort of like STELLA DALLAS but with a father instead of a mother. I know sacrificing one's personal happiness for your children is an admirable trait but after they've reached the age of 18, I say no way. There's something unpleasantly masochistic about a parent putting their own happiness aside for their adult children. But then again, I've never been a parent so what do I know? The film's title refers to Gravey's loss when his wife dies and how he refuses to let his daughter lose her life's love even if it means sacrificing his own last chance at love to save hers. My own personal feelings on the matter aside, it's a beautifully crafted film and I quite enjoyed it. With Elvire Popesco, Gerard Landry, Monique Rolland and Andre Alerme.    

No comments:

Post a Comment