Search This Blog

Saturday, October 3, 2026

The Voices (2015)

A factory worker (Ryan Reynolds) struggles with schizophrenia and is under the care of a psychiatrist (Jacki Weaver). However, he refuses to take his medications which causes him to hear voices. Two voices in particular, his amiable dog and his malicious cat who represent his good side and his evil side. Directed by Marjane Satrapi (PERSEPOLIS). An unnerving black comedy about a batshit crazy serial killer. I think I have a decent sense of humor yet somehow I couldn't find anything comical about serial killers and a lot of the scenes are downright distasteful. All that aside, I can appreciate what director Satrapi was aiming for and she hits it more often that not. Ryan Reynolds is excellent, managing to make his schizo both skin crawling and empathetic. The movie does a disservice to the women in the film. They're either deceptive, gullible or dumb. But if they weren't, there wouldn't be any movie, would there? The serial killer and the talking pets seems to be ripped off from Spike Lee's SUMMER OF SAM (1999), a far better film. My main complaint is the musical number that ends the film, it's misguided and silly and not as clever as it thinks it is. With Anna Kendrick, Gemma Arterton and Ella Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment