Set in the Chicago of the 1890s, a burlesque queen (Betty Grable) is romantically pursued by the owner (Phil Harris) of the dance hall but she's not interested. Enter the owner's ex-partner (Victor Mature) and she's interested. But her career ambitions come first. Directed by Henry Koster (THE ROBE). A remake of one of Grable's hits, CONEY ISLAND which came out seven years earlier. I wasn't a big fan of CONEY ISLAND but I still liked it a bit better than this stolid effort. Grable is wonderful in her jazzy numbers like I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate but weak after Mature turns her into a ballad singing "lady". Who wants to see Grable as a chanteuse? We're also saddled (in a subplot) with an irritating Irish drunk played for laughs by James Barton. One of it songs, Wilhelmina got an Oscar nomination. With Reginald Gardiner and Robin Raymond.
No comments:
Post a Comment