Search This Blog

Sunday, August 9, 2026

The Phoenician Scheme (2025)

Set in 1950. During the final stages of a vast, decades-long, career defining business project, a ruthless and unscrupulous millionaire (Benicio Del Toro) survives a sixth assassination attempt and must appoint a successor: his long estranged daughter (Mia Threapleton) ..... a nun. Written and directed by Wes Anderson (MOONRISE KINGDOM). If you didn't know this was a Wes Anderson movie, you'd know it by the first frame of the film. Visually, the film is fantastic! Narratively, it's often confusing (I'm still not sure I understood what the Phoenician scheme is). If you're a fan of Anderson's work, you should find this a delight. Others may not be so charitable but I found its standard Anderson absurd quirkiness charming. Del Toro is excellent as are Threapleton (Kate Winslet's daughter) and Michael Cera as a Norwegian entomologist. The massive cast includes Tom Hanks, Scarlett Johansson, Bill Murray, Benedict Cumberbatch, Willem Dafoe, Bryan Cranston, Jeffrey Wright, Riz Ahmed, F. Murray Abraham, Mathieu Amalric, Hope Davis and Charlotte Gainsbourg.

No comments:

Post a Comment