Search This Blog

Thursday, August 20, 2026

La Seconde Verite (aka The Second Twin) (1966)

A middle aged, married attorney (Robert Hossein) falls in love with a disc jockey (Michele Mercier) at a disco club. The lovestruck attorney can't bring himself to leave his wife (Malka Ribowska) but when his mistress's wealthy suitor (Jeann Claude Rolland) is murdered, he becomes the main suspect. Based on the novel UN HOMME A PART ENTIERE by Jean Laborde and directed by Christian Jaque (THE BLACK TULIP). While never less than gripping, I found this a frustrating movie mainly because of the two lead characters. I just couldn't drum up much empathy for a hot tempered adulterer (who's not satisfying either his wife or his mistress) and his mistress who whines that she's only getting part of him when hey! He's a married man! Still, the complicated structure of the narrative is strong enough to hold one's attention to the very end. Let's say I liked it in spite of my self. With Bernard Tiphane and Pascale De Boysson.

No comments:

Post a Comment