Set during WWI, two American soldiers (William Boyd, Louis Wolheim) are caught by the Germans and placed in a POW camp. They escape dressed in the white robes of Arab prisoners and sent with other Arab prisoners to Constantinople. Based on a short story by Donald McGibney, produced by Howard Hughes and directed by Lewis Milestone (ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT), who won an Oscar (at the very first ceremony) for his direction here. A very slight "buddy" comedy with Mary Astor thrown in for romance. I found it rather unmemorable except for the movie's last shot of Wolheim giving a eunuch an intense sexual vibe ..... what? Am I reading into it? There's a slight xenophobic undertone that I found bothersome. The film gives off a distaste of Islamic culture and tradition and even uses it as a punchline for laughs. William Boyd would find fame in the 1930s and 40s as Hopalong Cassidy. With Boris Karloff and Michael Visaroff.
No comments:
Post a Comment