Search This Blog

Friday, August 21, 2026

8番出口 (aka Exit 8) (2025)

Exiting the subway, a young man (Kazunari Ninomiya) gets lost trying to exit the station. He finds that he is trapped in the looping corridors and must spot possible anomalies in each loop to escape. An adaptation of the video game THE EXIT 8 and directed by Genki Kawamura (A HUNDRED FLOWERS). I've never played a video game in my life so in spite of the movie's good reviews, I wasn't sure I was the demographic for a movie like this. I needn't have worried. The movie is divided into three segments and the first segment THE LOST MAN is rather tedious and the film doesn't find its rhythm until the second segment, THE WALKING MAN when the horror of it all comes out in full force. It's all rather existential, suggesting that modern man leads a dull repetitive life, unable to break out of his routine. If you have the patience to hang in there, there are rewards though ultimately I found the ending tipping over into sentimentality. With Yamato Kochi, Naru Asanuma, Kotone Hanase and Nana Komatsu.

No comments:

Post a Comment