After breaking the mysterious "One Wish Willow" to win the love of the girl (Inde Navarette) he loves, a hopeless romantic (Michael Johnston) finds himself getting exactly what he wished for but soon discovers that some desires come at a sinister price. Written and directed by Curry Parker. A phenomenon of sorts because it cost only $800,000 to make but has grossed $460 million globally and received critical acclaim. To put it mildly, I found it a major disappointment. I found the the movie more silly than scary and after awhile, I just couldn't wait for it to end. Johnston's nerd is a cipher as a character and after his dream girl goes batshit crazy, he's a milquetoast when most anybody else would freak out and get out of the situation immediately rather than enabling it. I admired Navarette's performance, she was able to show flashes of depth amid all the ranting and raving but not enough to salvage the foolishness of the project. With Andy Richter, Cooper Tomlinson and Megan Lawless.
No comments:
Post a Comment